Bag Of Knowledge - Blog 1

Blog 1:  Do you follow a pattern to the end, or do you make changes?


9 out of 10 times I will follow a pattern to the end.  But something simple, like a wrap, I might change, depending on how and where I would like those changes.

≈ Eloise Nel the creator behind MyLove4Crochet


As a designer myself, I might find that I will use tricks or tips to make it easier for myself. But I do not make changes to the overall pattern itself.
 Joanita Theron the designer behind Creative Crochet Workshops
 

Alhoewel dit tog soms gebeur dat ek 'n patroon tot die letter volg, verander ek gewoonlik iets wat kan wissel van 'n ander tipe jaarn tot groot veranderinge in die aanwysings.

≈ Adele Marais, founder and creator behind Yarn Creations and presenter on YouTube   


I often knit patterns as per the instructions to the end. It’s great to see how the designer’s creativity moves with a pattern.   But sometimes I do change a bit here or there on a technique that I find easier to do. 

Juanita Muir, designer at Juaknits  and follow her on Instagram



I rarely make changes to a pattern; I like to follow the pattern from beginning to end. I have very little designing skills - I leave that up to the pros.https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif
≈ Surene Palvie, owner of Yarn@ZelLe and amazing colour collaborator and crafter

Being a designer myself, I sometimes create a lot of problems for myself. I would scan a pattern and then simply assume I know what the designer would mean. This has resulted in a lot of frogging! The other benefit of being a designer is that I can actually easily adjust most patterns to my own needs. I almost always adjust patterns and change bits here and there, and very rarely follow the pattern exactly. It also gives me a lot of pleasure when people do the same to my own patterns. It’s great to think that someone would take a pattern and using their creativity, change it to reflect their own individuality.

≈ Bren Grobler, designer and owner of Jaarn and can be found on Instagram



I have a really bad habit of not 100% following a pattern.  Apart from my first scarf, I can’t think of one I have ever followed from start to finish.  I somehow always end up modifying and changing something, from stitch types, stitch counts, row counts, yarn weight, etc. I’m not exactly sure why I do this, maybe because I have this idea in my head and when I find a pattern that represents the idea, I’ll use the pattern but tweak it till it matches my idea.  I must admit, when the project is finally complete, it is liberating and satisfying seeing your own touch added, unique, and something only you’d do.     

≈ Nicole Barkhuizen, the creator behind  Oumaz, and you can find her on Instagram or Ravelry
 
 

My mom taught me to knit and crochet when I was four years old, but she never taught me to read a pattern. Everything we made were our own designs. I bought my first pattern about 5 years ago, and I could not use it without making changes. As far as I went, I questioned the techniques the designer used. Still to this day, it happens every time. I really enjoy writing up my own designs. I don’t enjoy using a pattern from another designer.
Hilda Steyn, designer, blogger and co-author of Hekel en Word Heel is also on Instagram

These panellists are generously sharing their experiences and knowledge, they are the pro's we watch and follow - thank you for taking time to read the first (of many) topics to be added to our Bag. If you want to contribute by suggesting topics, feel free to contact Designerhook, and we will endeavour to include it in the coming weeks/months.  
Happy creating all you lovely yarnies 💜😉


Our Bag of Knowledge blog brings you an insightful perspective from extraordinary people in the craft industry. It is meant to be open-minded although opinionated, honest, and perceptive.  You don’t have to agree with them but you may find inspiration to step out of your comfort zone.  Follow the links to their social media presence and support their endeavours. (Double click on the underlined words to follow the links)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bag of Knowledge - Blog 5

Bag of Knowledge - Blog 6

Bag of Knowledge - Blog 7